skip to main content

Academic Advising

Current Undergraduate Students  ⟩  Academic Advising

Student being advised by Tyler Flynn

Freshmen biology majors, like most freshmen on campus, are advised through the Center for Student Success and First Year Experience (CSSFYE). The Center for Student Success and First Year Experience is an excellent resource for all first-year students as their commitment is to helping students successfully transition to college.

Their office is located in Martindale-Cole Student Services Center, Suite P (3rd Floor).

Tyler Flynn

Sophomores through seniors are advised in the Department of Biology.

Meet Tyler Flynn—the Coordinator of Advising, Recruitment and Retention for the Department of Biology. Tyler assists future and current biology students by building their degree plan, advising in registering for courses and creating course schedules, and offering career information. Email to schedule an advising appointment or stop by his office in 220 Shoemaker Hall.

illustration of a form

Undergraduate Forms

Please download the fillable form to your computer desktop and use the Adobe Reader (version XI, DC, or later) to open it. Then fill out the form, save it, and send it to as an attachment. If you do not have the Adobe Reader, it can be downloaded for free at Mac users need to use Adobe Reader rather than the built-in Preview application.

BA Worksheet (fillable) updated March 2021

BS Worksheet (fillable) updated March 2021

BISC 200 Form (fillable)  updated July 2020

BISC 491 and 492 Form (fillable)  updated July 2020

BISC 493 Form (fillable)  updated July 2020

illustration of person

How and when is my department advisor assigned?

For biology sophomores, their department advisors will be assigned within the first several weeks of the fall semester. Transfer students will be assigned their advisor within the first weeks of their first semester at UM.

Advisors are assigned by the Department of Biology. For assistance, email

illustration of DNA

How do I change my major to biology?

Students who wish to change their major complete the Change of Major form on the College of Liberal Arts Student Services website. Once the major has been changed and a new advisor assigned, students receive a confirmation email.

calendar icon

How and when do I register for classes?

In order to find your specific academic advisor just visit myOleMiss and your advisor and their contact information will be listed under the My Advisors tab. If an advisor is not listed, reach out to the College of Liberal Arts Student Services team at 662-915-7177 or email at

Your registration window will be on myOleMiss under the Check My Registration Window tab. To see the dates of registration for the current and upcoming semesters, visit the academic calendar on Office of Registrar’s website.

magnifying glass icon

Advising Resources

Academic Advising Tips and Reminders

Notification of Privacy Rights Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

GPA Calculator